Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Private Landlords

We can help you access a private rented property through Durham Key Options.

Looking for a private rented property may:

  • Allow you to secure accommodation sooner
  • Increase your chance of accessing a good quality home
  • Provide an alternative choice to tenants

Interested? Look out for private properties by clicking on the link below. For further information, please contact the the Private Sector Housing Team at Durham County Council on 03000 268 000.

To view the properties advertised by private landlords across County Durham, please click here.

Private landlords reserve the right to choose the types of tenants for their properties, whether or not these tenants have a housing need. This is because private landlords do not have to let their properties in the same way as social housing providers, who must by law, ensure the majority of their vacancies are let to those in the greatest housing need.

You can also approach estate agents and local letting agencies for details about private landlords or you can look in your local newspaper or property paper. You should be aware that letting agencies may charge you for finding a property and other services like drawing up a tenancy agreement.

The majority of private landlords will ask you to pay a deposit before giving you the tenancy. If you experience any difficulties in finding the deposit, you can contact Durham County Council to see if they can offer any assistance through a rent deposit scheme.

Housing Benefit or Local Housing Allowance is available to help with the cost but it may not cover the full rent. Please click here for information regarding Local Housing Allowance.

Please study your tenancy agreement to check what repairs and maintenance your landlord is responsible for. If your landlord refuses to carry out any repairs, please contact your local council or the Citizens Advice Bureau (often referred to as 'CAB').

If you are a private landlord and your property has been empty for six months or more, please click here to see whether the council can assist you.

Go to top of page ^